“Art is the way to communicate my ideas and opinions, to express my emotion and spirit”
Born: Pangkung Tibah, Kediri Tabanan, Bali - Indonesia
Studies: Indonesia Institute of the Arts, Yogyakarta
Oka loves to learn new things. He keeps trying something new such as new different techniques in painting. Different and brave, may be the words to represent Oka in art. He is different, because he dare to try to do arts out of the box. Through Oka Art Project, Oka finds a space to do adventurous experiments in visualizing his ideas by exploring new various media and any kind of arts. For Oka, Art is a space to express his disquiet and anxiety either in his internal or external environment, such as the existence as an artist, the relation between artists and his social environment and his concern for the damaged nature among the tourism progress.
From beginning, Oka’s creativity has been related to Ecology. As a son of a farmer, Oka get used to live in the farm, rice field, forest. This experiences grow his subconscious interests with the nature. His recent artworks mostly visualize the nature. For Oka, It is important for the artists to concern and present themselves for the ecology in their artworks such as eco art and nature art.
Splashes and melting are the dominant aesthetic characteristic in Oka artworks. These splashes and melting are being constructed to be figures in such gestures that represent spirits, turbulences and other emotions. Figures on Oka’s artworks are anonymous, they could be anything or anyone, could be Oka himself or us, or even the representation of the nature.
• 2018 “A(ar)GRI(eve)CULTURE”, Studio Kalahan, Yogyakarta
• 2017 “Human and Nature Relationship”, Bioo Art Space, Bali
• 2017 “Palemahan”, Santriyan Galery, Sanur Bali
• 2016 “Ecoko Green Project #2”, Bioo Art Space, Bali
• 2016 “Ecoko Green Project #1”, Lingkara Photo Art Galery, Bali
• 2015 “ Mobilitas Tourism”, Sangkring Art Project, Yogyakarta
• 2014 “I+DIALOG+I”, Apa dan Bagaimana Seni Rupa Saya!, Taman Budaya Yogyakarta
• 2011 “Menjawab Kegelisahan”, Tembi Rumah Budaya, Yogyakarta
• 2008 “Kebudayaan Sebagai Awal untuk Berkarya”, Pandan Harum Café, Bali
• 2012 Finalist Pratisara Affandi Adhi Karya 2012
• 2010 Finalist Jakarta Art Award 2010
• 2010 Best Artwork Nominee for “Water Color Painting”, Fine Art Department, Indonesia Institute of the Arts, Yogyakarta
• 2009 The Best 13 Artworks for “Poster Ink Painting”, Fine Art Department, Indonesia Institute of the Arts, Yogyakarta
• 2005 The Best 10 artworks for “Painting Competition”, PANJI Community, Tabanan, Bali
About the Artist:
Having been graduated from Fine Art Senior High School on 1999 in Bali, Oka moved to Yogyakarta to continue his study in Indonesia Institute of the Arts, Yogyakarta. Oka started to manage his art energy by setting up an art movement named Oka Art project since 2011. This art project refers to something that is being planned, processed, and has its own vision in arts. While Oka refers to his name and himself as an individual and social person. Through this project, Oka wants to present a space to learn together, to be in process to find something meaningful as a trigger to move forward.
Oka supplies himself the power of Balinese culture, especially for the social experiences aspects, the nature sustainability and local wisdom. Using this philosophical comprehension, Oka is being able to interpret the developing age.