“I start with a story and then break it down to brush strokes.”
Born: Tuban, January 7th, 1977
Education: Indonesian Institute of the Arts, Yogyakarta
Style: Abstract, Surrealism, Cubism, Expressionism, Realism, Contemporary
Medium: Acrylic on Canvas, Mixed Media on Archival Paper
About the Artist:
Januri is a fast-rising Indonesian painter with diverse proficiency in styles and media. Januri grew up in a remote farming village which has deeply influenced his themes. Over the years, his work evolved both in terms of the visual language and themes represented. Since the beginning of his career, human figures have been the focal point of his work. In his early practice, he depicted them with transparent color, reflecting on the political condition of his country, while the scenery in the background only had a function of supplementing the figures. Over time, Januri began using darker colors, placing more emphasis on the background. In his recent works, the landscape takes more central role, being rendered with the same strength as his subjects.
Many of his works could be considered as conceptual artworks with a social narrative. Januri feels his work continues the art tradition of artists such as Beckman, Chagall, Francisco de Goya, Gustave Courbet, Diego Rivera, Affandi, Hendra Gunawan, Sudjojoo, Sudjono Kerton and Djoko Pekik, among others.
In his latest works, he has explored Cubism where he has successfully depicted three-dimensional abstract figures on a flat canvas to create intimate narratives.
Januri is a sculptor as well and models statues inspired by the characters in his paintings. When he was younger, he was trained by the famous late painter Harjiman who worked on decorative forms of traditional Javanese batik.
2012 ‘The Land Of Tragedy’, Chandan Gallery, Kualalumpur
2011 ‘Manusiadan Sang Liyan’ (Human and The Other), Edwin’s Gallery, Jakarta
2006 ‘In Between’, Vanessa Art Link, Jakarta.
2005 ‘Final Work’,Indonesian Institute of Art, Yogyakarta
2003 ‘Horizon Keempat’, Edwin Gallery, Jakarta
2020 “If Walls Could Speak”, ION Art Gallery, Singapore
• Beijing International Art Biennale, Beijing, China
• “IKATAN”, Philippines – Indonesia, Toniraka Gallery, Bali
• “Kecil Itu Indah #15” Edwin’s Gallery, Jakarta
• “Colourful of Indonesia”, Hadiprana Gallery, Jakarta
• “Kecil itu Indah”, After Edwin’s, Miracle Prints, Yogyakarta
• “Spirit of Colour”, Horison Hotel, Yogyakarta
• “In a Secret Site of Imogiri”, RumahLebah, Yogyakarta
• “Sharing Happiness”,LimasArt, Yogyakarta
• “Sea Of Tears”, International Exhibition, L’Atelier Rouge The Studio, Malaysia
• “Balance”, Limanjawi Art House, Magelang
• “Forever Playful”, Hadiprana Gallery, Jakarta
• “Rice Lands”, Nadine Gallery, KualaLumpur, Malaysia
• “Jalan Dua Pekan”, Bentara Budaya, Yogyakarta.
• “SeniUntukKemanusiaan”, Affandi Museum, Yogyakarta.
• “International Art Workshop and Festival”, PohChang Academy of Arts, Bangkok.
• “The 15th (Japan) International Calligraphy and Painting Exhibition”, Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum, Japan
• “PSU International Art Workshop”,Southern Thai Art Gallery of Prince of Songkla University, Pattani, Thailand
• “KMUTNB Art and Design Workshop 2016”, King Mongkut’s University of Technology North Bangkok, Thailand
• “Sekaliber” Tahun Emas, Yogyakarta
• “MONOCHROME” Nadine Fine Art, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
• “11th International Art Workshop”, Rajamanggala University, Bangkok
• “The 3rd International Creative Art Disseminating”, Art Centre Silpakorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
• “AKU CINTA PADAKU” BIRU group, Bentara Budaya, Yogyakarta
• “Mysticism in Landscape”, Nadine Fine Art, KualaLumpur, Malaysia
• “Lima X Lima”, Philippine –Indonesia, Art Verite, Manila, Philipines
• “Tanda Mata XI”, Bentara Budaya, Yogyakarta
• “UOB Painting of The Year”, Ciputra Artpreneur, Jakarta
• “Pulau Ketam International Art Festival”, Malaysia Cartography of Painting, Cartography of Painting,Albert Gallery, Jakarta
• “Picnic”, TahunMas Art Room, Yogyakarta
• “International Festival and Workshop”, Poh-Chang Academy of Arts,Thailand.
• ‘Contemporary Mantra’, HOM Art Trans, Kuala Lumpur.
• ‘International Art Exhibition’, PSU Gallery, Prince of Songkla University Hat Yai, Thailand.
• ‘Lost in Colors’, Artotel, Surabaya
• ‘Matja’, Jogja National Museum, Jogjakarta
• ‘Singapore – Yogyakarta Exhibition’, Jogja Gallery, Yogyakarta.
• “Silk Journey to Art”, International Exhibition, The China Millennium Monument, Beijing, China.
• “Today’s Silk Road” ,International Invitational Exhibition of Fine Art , Xian, Shaanxi, China.
• ‘Youth Plus’, International Young Artists, Museum of Contemporary Art ( MOCA) Beijing, China.
• ‘Painting of The Year’, UOB Plaza, Jakarta
• “Urip Mung Mampir Ngombe”, Langit Art Space, Yogyakarta
• “Evolution”, Limanjawi Art House, Magelang
• “Warna-warna Persahabatan RI-RRT”, Art Museum of China Central Academy of Fine Art, Wangjin, China
• Thailand – Indonesia art exchange exhibition’, Uttaradit Rajabhat University, Uttaradit, Thailand
• ISI, Gallery Kemang 58, Jakarta
• Untukmu Guru, Widayat Museum, Magelang, Indonesia
• Thailand art exchange exhibition, Bentara Budaya, Yogyakarta.
• Painting of The Year, UOB Plaza, Jakarta
• Next Pict, Albert Gallery, Jakarta
• Nandur Srawung, Taman Budaya Yogyakarta
2015 International Art Workshop, Poh- Chang Academy of Arts, Bangkok, Thailand
2014 Thailand – Indonesia Art Workshop at Uttaradit Rajabhat University, Uttaradit, Thailand.
2012 The Muong Land 2 & Asia Art Link, Art Workshop, the Muong’s Cultural Space Museum, HoaBinh, Vietnam
2008 Artist in Residence Programme, Malihom, Malaysia
• Artist exchange, Project MA-GER I, Malaysia
• Artist exchange, Project MA-GER II,Yogyakarta
2002 Project of Mural ‘Sama-sama’, Yogyakarta.
2016 Finalist of UOB Art Awards
2015 Finalist of UOB Art Awards
2014 Finalist of UOB Art Awards
2013 Finalist of UOB Art Awards
2008 Finalist of Indonesian Art Awards
• Finalist of Indonesian-Asean Art Awards
• Finalist of Indofood Art Awards
• Finalist of Phillip Morris Indonesian Art Awards
• Top 3 of Nokia Art Awards
• Finalist of Indofood Art Awards.
1998 Finalist of Phillip Morris Indonesian Art Awards
1996 Pratita Adhi Karya SMSR, Yogyakarta.